Help power the road by walking!

TechOcular has moved: For the most recent version of this post please visit

Green electricity is massive business and becoming a priority for most people. Pavegen are a new start-up company that have developed pedestrian paving slabs that harvest kinetic energy and convert it into electricty. A perfect product for cities such as London where Pavegen is currently based.

As people walk over the Pavegen slab, the energy from their footfall is collected and turned into electricity which can be used to power streetlights, traffic lights, bus stops, or anything else it is connected too. The slab itself contains a light that when the slab is stepped on will light up, letting whoever stepped on it know that they created some electricity. The light contained within the slab only requires 5% of the energy created by a footfall to operate, allowing the other 95% of the generated electricity to be used on other devices.

Ideas already coming forward that a number of Pavegen slabs could be positioned around pedestrian zebra crossings, where the lights in the slabs have the added bonus of lighting up the pedestrian area, in the end helping road safety.

Trails have already been run at certain locations in East London, a system has been permanently placed at a school in the UK where 1,100 students generate electricity to power a number of devices throughout the school as they move about the corridors. They are currently exhibiting across London, including at the London Design Museum, and are looking for other areas in which to perform further testing.

A great idea from Pavegen, if placed in areas with a high number of pedestrians this could generate a large amount of electricity from something people do anyway, walking. It could even be extended to being installed into roads and allow electricity to be generated when cars drive over similar slabs.

Pavegen system at traffic lights

A Pavegen tile

2 Responses to “Help power the road by walking!”
  1. Nice blog and good post…
    Keep blogging.. 🙂
    Waiting for your next post guy…
    Please, Visit my new blog and give your comment..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Blog Stats

    • 69,228 hits
  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 3 other followers

  • All posts © TechOcular; Any referenced, linked, or included works are copyright their original authors.

  • Technology & Science Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

    TechOcular - Insights into Technology - Blogged

    Blog DirectoryAdd blog to our directory.

    Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

    Ping this

%d bloggers like this: